To ensure you are hiring the right employee, pre-employment screening helps you verify information supplied by candidates on their application letters and resumes. This background check often tries to uncover criminal tendencies and character flaws that might jeopardize the employer, endanger fellow staff, tarnish the reputation of the company/organization, or limit the productivity of the candidate.
At the end of the day, you want to find out if you can trust the candidate to manage your financial resources, project-sensitive and confidential information.
At the most basic, a screening covers the following;
- Criminal history: Criminal history checks are the cornerstone of most job-related background checks. The process begins with a check for big crimes including violent offenses, sex crimes, fraud and embezzlement and other felony reports. After the big crimes are exhausted, minor crimes including petty theft are checked.
- Education: Over two-thirds of the requests made to college registrars for confirmation of educational credentials reveal factual discrepancies. Applicants frequently lie about where and when they went to school and what certifications they obtained.
- Credit history: One of the best ways to determine whether or not a person is responsible is to look at how well they manage their finances. It also is part of the due-diligence process to prevent fraud and embezzlement.
- Others: Pre-employment background screening can cover many other things including: worker’s compensation claims, motor vehicle records, employment verification and technical qualifications.
Background Screening with the Michigan Chamber of Commerce
The Michigan Chamber of Commerce offers professional and valuable pre-employment screening services at discounted rates to our members.
Through our partnership with LaborChex, you can cost-effectively screen applicants and even generate screening reports for later use. What’s more, there are no set-up fees or minimum requirements. You just log onto the easy-to-use website, pay, and begin screening.
Why this Program?
- Friendly, courteous staff that truly wants to help
- All work done from U.S. headquarters
- Cross-trained industry professionals assist with questions
- Prompt return of calls and emails
- Tailoring services to meet the special needs of each client
- CEO is in the office every day to assist as needed
- Never any account set-up fees
- No monthly dues
- No minimum order requirements
- Pricing without hidden fees
- Order a single level of screening or many
- Discounts for bulk orders
- Easy invoice billing and payment options
- In business since 1991
- True human resources professionals
- Legal compliance team
- Assisting clients with a variety of FCRA and EEOC questions
- Weekly newsletters provide valuable information
- Provide generic forms and documents for client review and consideration
- Embed with a client's HRMS and ATS internal software for seamless and fast ordering and report management
- No extra charges for the integration or other technical special needs
Also available is LaborClear, a monthly monitoring service which will alert you of an employee or volunteers arrest within the United States. Once an employee is hired, or volunteer is on-boarded, most organizations no longer look into that individuals’ background. Now, employers and volunteer organizations have a way to continually monitor employees after their hire.
How do I Sign Up?
You can review the pricing sheet, then complete the client service agreement and new client setup form and email them to Kym Lewis. Or, you call 1-800-880-0366 for more immediate assistance. Be sure to mention you were referred by the Michigan Chamber of Commerce to get your discount! If you need further assistance, please email or call us at the Chamber at 1-800-748-0266.